The Search Function Favors Shops and Spams the Feed
This duplication continued on the page until the bottom, where more shops were represented. Why is there more variety of shops at the bottom of the page? Here is the screen shot of the same page as above. No repeats at the bottom.
It's all "relevant"
- In the past, under the same relevant search criteria, I've never seen this much repetition. The past pattern was one or two shops per page return, not 3, 4, 5, 6 listings over and over from the same shops.
- I used general search terms. Fall and October are very different search terms from a specific search for, let's say, a black velvet purse. If I search for a black velvet purse and there is a shop specializing in velvet accessories and purses, then I would expect to see many listings from the same shop over and over in my search results. However, I was searching, in general, for all Fall or October items.
- Remember, there were over half a million items in my search for "Fall" so there is no reason for so many duplicate shop listings.
- "I don't see this repetition." I hope this means enough time has passed that Etsy fixed the problem (yeah). But if not, keep in mind you need to view more than one page. Don't just stop at page one. Look at 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. . .
- Did I just happen to search Etsy right when these shops renewed items; therefore, I am looking at the relevant results because they just renewed? Again, in the past, no. I would not see this much repetition. But just to make sure, I came back in the afternoon and did a new search. Same shops. Below is the afternoon search result for Fall.
Another disturbing point
Conclusion: Etsy needs to fix its search
Please feel free to comment if you have something to share on this topic. Thanks.